Friday, September 21, 2012

First Impressions

Hello Australia,

I have decided to update you all with the experiences I have had in my first week in the States.

1. Coffee in America is shit. I realized that I have been spoilt living in Surry Hills for seven years. The swill that they pass off as coffee should have a Konyesque viral video made about it to raise awareness of this atrocity.

2. New Yorkers are busy, impatient people. Pausing before entering a doorway or crossing the road immediately brands you as a tourist. I discovered this brutally as a 6''5' 265lbs Africian American woman physically removed from a subway entrance as she wanted to enter before me. I wish I could recreate the moment as Natalie found it hilarious but I would not be able to do it justice, however I have attached link that gives you a visual of the incident http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4FDCbkuaD4

3. There is a clear racial divide. The Latinos are busboys/waiters/cleaners and clearly at the bottom of the food chain. Africian Americans work in retail and do not like to make eye contact. Whitebreads rule the world and are shit scared of the two previous racial groups. Natalie's family made a sound decision to move to Australia rather than the USA.

4. My accent is essentially indecipherable to 95% to everyone I encounter. I have to round out my vowels so that I sound like a Missouri native, albeit one with a learning difficulty. Those of you familiar with my skill at accents and impressions would realize that this poses no problem for me, the person I am interacting with, not so much. I just tell myself that the stunned look they are giving me is due to my uncanny resemblance to Clark Kent.

I am off to brave the 40 degrees temperature (approx 5 degrees) and check to see if we were able to win part of the 640 million New York Mega Million Lottery.

Connors

1 comment:

  1. I am an American and I so think your comments about the race roles are sad but true. They seem to be exemplified in NYC as well.

    Bummer,
    American Bridget (Jones)

    ReplyDelete